Skip to main content

Another finish!

I finally finished the City Weekend quilt.  This one is entirely by me - I actually did all of the machine quilting!  It's all straight lines, as I'm not yet ready to tackle FMQ on anything larger than a potholder.  But I'm pleased with the way this one turned out.  It was also an effort to use up more of my own fabric, rather than buying more.  I had the charm packs for this, and they went well enough with the green that I gave it a shot.  I was quite nervous about it, but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with this one, yet.  My daughter seems to really like it, but she also has an entire stack of quilts and blankets in her room.  Project Linus, maybe?  We'll see where it ends up!

Maybe this weekend, when I'm actually home while the sun is above the horizon, I can get outside to take a better picture, but for now, it's DONE!


So where does that leave me??

Recent Finishes

  • City Weekend
  • Fall Colors

Piecing -

  • Farmer's Wife (Finished up to #14)
  • Swoon (Finished #5)
  • FQ Block of the Month (Finished #5)
  • Summer Jewels
Top done, needs to be quilted
  • Reunion
  • Stacks of Color (Fiona's quilt)
  • Super-size Shoefly

Needs binding
  • Old Gold (batik hourglass)
 Planning
  • Ruby, Pearl and Opal (will be for my Quilt Bee)
  • Hulabaloo Stars
  • Batik Sampler Star
  • Hugs and Kisses (for Gunner)

Comments

  1. I really like the way you designed the quilt!
    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The design is from the Moda Bakeshop, but I did add to it to use the rest of the charm pack.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…