Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday - and first Quilt Guild Meeting!

Where has the time gone!!!  How do the weeks fly by and I NOT ACTUALLY GET ANYTHING DONE???

But I did go to my first quilt guild meeting.  A neighbor knows I'm a quilter, and she invited me along.  It was definitely fun, even if I was the youngest one there by 20 years (and I'm no spring chicken!)  But an evening with the quilt guild is not one spent sewing.  Ah decisions!  I'm just hoping I do join and can somehow manage to get to the retreat.  Two days sewing?  No kids?  Bliss, I tell you, sheer bliss! 

Seeing all the fun quilts at guild definitely made me wish I didn't work this darn 45 hour a week job!  But then I wouldn't be able to afford the fabric, so I suppose it's a tradeoff.

In progress:

Swoon - two blocks completed
Farmer's Wife - 12 blocks completed (this is a very LONG term project!!)
Fiona's quilt - for my niece - almost done!  Just have one more border to sew on. 
Summerville Hopscotch






Line 'em Up - Fat quarter batik quilt destined for the auction block for our church dinner.  Amazing how that snuck up on me!  New pattern, but so far I'm liking it, it's going together quickly. 

Needs quilting:

Class Reunion
Batik hourglass quilts

Needs Binding:

Under the Sea quilt for my in-laws

Planned (meaning I have all the fabric and am ready to go):

Summer Breeze Jewels
Ruby, Pearl and Opal quilt (this will be for a quilting bee)

Those are the quilts.  Now onto the clothing:

Planned:

Blue and Grey knit dress
Dark blue linen dress
Linen striped dress
Knit shirt (would have had this one started, until I realized I had the wrong size pattern.  Whoops!  At least I only paid 99 cents for it.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…

A Thicket of Stars

This was a fun one!  I'd sketched out the design a while ago, and when picking fabric options for the Moda Bakeshop, the center of my 'octagons' seemed to call out for the animals in this line, rather than the pinwheel shapes I'd originally planned.  I love how it turned out!

Key to the success of actually constructing the quilt top was to find away to make the half rectangle triangle with the right dimensions, so that it was 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  The provided template will work, as well as several rulers. 


 This one goes together very quickly.  I did simple straight-line quilting, which was both easy to do and emphasizes the outlines of the stretched stars.

 Windy day!  I finished this up and had to get the pictures taken. Unfortunately, the wind wasn't really cooperating, but I did like this location. 


I'd have a hard time saying which little animal is my favorite, but this guy probably wins. :)


Another fun project finished!  This one will be auct…