Skip to main content

New Fabric

Due to a strange confluence of events, I actually had well over an hour to spend at the fabric store yesterday.  By myself.  Nothing I had to get, nothing that needed to be done, just some time for me and the fabric and to see what inspiration happened to strike.  I ended up with some fabric for clothes for Isadora.  She's now definitely into Girl sized clothes, not the little kids clothes anymore, and I have been less than pleased with the style options when it comes to finding her things to wear.  Call me too prudish, but she DOESN'T belong in half of what they sell.  It is just not appropriate for a six year old!  She's not a small adult, she shouldn't be dressing in adult styles.  I want her dressing in styles that are appropriate for her age.  I'm finding that this means I have to spend a bit more and shop on-line (Land's End has really good kid stuff) or I have to spend a bit more and make stuff.  So I found a cute pattern for a summer dress, so I'm going to get at least one of them done.  I will incorporate some lessons from dresses I made last fall:
  • Pre-wash the fabric, to minimize shrinking. 
  • Assume she will grow three inches in the next two months and size the length accordingly
  • Use a smaller size around the torso, so they're not too big around
Hopefully this will help some of the issues with last fall's dresses.  Live and learn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…