Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday

There isn't much movement on the list itself, but I've been making good progress on my WIP's.  I have the top of Northern Lights pretty much finished - my sister wants an initial appliqued on (it's a baby quilt) so I'm working on refining that before I sew it on. 

My secret project is coming together, but it's been painful.  I got it up on the design wall last night, and I HATED it.  The feel was all wrong, you couldn't see what I considered one of the main design elements, and as my husband put it "it makes my head hurt".  Not exactly a resounding success.  So I made some adjustments, moved things around, and it's definitely better.  I think the quilting will have some major impacts on the final result, so I'm going to have to put some serious thought into that, too.  Originally I'd thought about doing it myself, but I think it's going to have to go to the long-armer to get what I want. 

I'm also chugging along on the leaders and enders, and am almost to the bottom of that pile. It's going to be another bright and happy quilt.  Startdust is a bit stalled until I find some more time to peel paper, then it should be a quick run to the finish.  I'm trying to decide what to pull from the planning list into the active pile, as I should be able to move at least two from the WIP into the top completed pile.  I've realized we're rapidly coming to the end of the school year, so I'd better get started on elementary, as it's the thank-you quilt for Isadora's teacher. 

Recent Completions!!

Ribbon Box
Christmas Impromptu (Need pictures)
Lucky Pezzy (Need pictures)

WIPs:

Park Bench (Six of 15 completed)
Secret Project
Northern Lights

Farmer's Wife (LONG term project! - 20 blocks completed)
Stardust  
Scrappy Chevrons (leader and ender setup)

Needs Binding

Vintage Modern

At the quilter:

Top Completed, waiting for quilting:

Swoon
Mosaic
Avalon BOM 1

Planning:

Secret Garden (layer cake quilt)
Madonna and Child
Snowbird BOM
Elementary

UFO's:

Craftsy QAYG quilt (three of twelve completed)
Vintage Modern Scrappy
Fabulous Flowers - stalled until I figure out how to fix it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pinwheel Charity Quilt - FINISHED!

The amazing Jo at Jo's Country Junction does a ton of wonderful work doing long-arm for charity quilts.  After my friend, Natalie, and I purchased our long-arm, we both wanted to help do charity work, so I reached out to Jo to see if she needed some assistance.  She sent along five quilt tops, along with backings and bindings, and Natalie and I got to work!

This first finish is a wonderful, happy, bright pinwheel quilt, made by Sharon Judkins of Hatfield, Arkansas.   (And special thanks to my 11 year old for photographing - she's working on photography for her 4-H projects, and wanted to help out in her own way!)


Natalie did the long-arm work on this one.


 Each pinwheel got it's own spiral, and there are spirals in all the sashing and borders.  Natalie made sure to get a pinwheel in cornerstone, as well.


It was bound in a lovely blue, with the ladies in our local quilt guild stepping up to do the actual binding work.  This one will be donated to Feed the Kids, a local cha…

A Fast Finish

With the new long-arm, I find myself making quick quilt tops to practice the free motion quilting.  So I'm ending up with a LOT of finished quilts!  The quilting on some of them is still a bit rougher than I'd like, but hey, that's more quilts that the kids can use to build forts!

This one I'm actually pretty pleased with, and it is headed off with my dear Aunt Susie.


This is a pattern from a magazine, although I can't recall which one just now.  Very simple, but I had recently purchased a bundle of batiks and it seemed a great fit.  I loaded it onto the machine sideways, and did a different quilting motif in each band.  Feathers, loops, straight lines, I had some fun with them! 


Feathers definitely require practice...


 Straight lines also require practice...


Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress.  I've been using a roll of poly batting; less expensive to practice with, and I actually like the fluff factor.  



Glad to have another one finished!  It end…

Urban Improv

The BadAss Quilters Society recently paired up with Frond Design Studios (my favorite, favorite fabrics) for an Urban Brights Challenge.  I couldn't resist the opportunity/excuse to buy more Frond Fabric, so I purchased the bundle and away I went. Now, I am NOT an art quilter.  I would love to be someday, but I'm definitely not there yet, so I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'm even going to submit the pictures of the quilt, but I do love the final result.

I decided to go with improv.  I'm pretty new at improv, so it was a challenge for me, and definitely a step outside of my comfort zone.  I went with no binding, as it seemed to work better visually that way.  I quilted it myself, with a number of different motifs and techniques.  Overall I love it, even if it doesn't quite measure up to the competition!

I ended up taking the pictures last night in our shop.  It's been raining for what seems like forever, so I haven't been able to get an outsid…